A mum and a wife and sometimes just me


Tuesday 5 October 2010

Life's Journey or my life journey anyway

After all that has happened over the last year it's a bit hard not to think about my life journey. When your a child someone is bound to ask you what do you want to be when you grow up? From you begin your life's journey there are always expectations on what you are going to do with yourself. Remembering my mum getting dressed in her uniform heading off in her car to her office to work, I thought for a long while what I was going to do would be something like that. A smooth journey through education, find a job, bag a man and get married, buy a house and a car and have some children. I can only just laugh at such a thought now.I have been backwards and forwards, sometimes it seems like it's been all over the place but somehow I got somewhere in the end.


Sooner or later we must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. Robert J. Hastings

School wise I never really shined to say the least and my parents seriously questioned whether I would be going to university. But seeing as I never knew there was any other option I actually managed to get in somewhere. Growing up I loved writing and thought maybe I could be journalist. Ha! A levels kind of shattered that dream when I realised I was maybe not that good at writing. Those silly stories I wrote when I was young were obviously just that...silly! Considering I had no idea what I wanted to do or even really thought seriously about options available to me I tried for law and got accepted to do Politics and International Relations. It was the beginning of my first time away from home and I guess I never looked back cause I have stayed in the UK ever since. 



Work wise after finishing my degree I did not have a clue still! I think the pressure on young people to figure out what they want to do with their lives from early is ridiculous and a bit unfair especially when I consider all the changes I have made. I worked at a summer camp when I was younger and enjoyed it so not sure why had a sudden thought I might enjoy working with kids. It seemed in contrast to having an office job which I think I did not want at that time. So I ended up doing a master entitled Social Anthropology of Children and Child Development...what the hell was I supposed to do with that when I finished. I ended up getting a job working with children with disabilities and well for years that is what I have always done. Then suddenly I decided to see what it was like to be other side I like to call it as a social worker. So I went back to University to do yet again another degree! Speak to anyone who has done a social work degree and that is a whole journey itself!



It was not until I met hubby that I discovered my love of travelling and being able to share it with someone you love is incredible. I certainly hope this part of my life journey is continuous because there is so much more for us to see and do that it probably takes more than a lifetime.   



It was not till we moved to Glasgow and I was unemployed for 3 whole months that I was able to learn my love of food, cooking and baking. When the collection of cook books suddenly started. This life journey is something hubby greatly appreciates and still tries to take advantage of :)


To think that this time last year we were heading off to New Zealand to spend 10 months of hubby's sabbatical in Auckland seems slightly surreal. "Settled" back in Glasgow it seems like a long time ago. It's what got me thinking of this post in the first place. As you know from my post Reminiscing New Zealand it was an experience to remember. We are still sticking by the rules to make no comparisons but I do so miss it.


Now though I am on a new journey starting our own little family and well it has lots of surprises and experiences to remember on offer..........so here we go....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...