A mum and a wife and sometimes just me


Tuesday 25 January 2011

Jamaicans are cool man!


So of course as soon as I get wind of this I had to post it. My Uncle wants to know why we are not number one?!?! Hubby wants to know where the Italians are?!?! I just love the bit at the end where it says....

Not so cool: High murder rate and widespread homophobia.
It gets you thinking though...What are the impressions other people have about where you come from? It was not that long ago that people thought Jamaicans lived in huts and swung from tree to tree like Tarzan. I still get people that don't believe I am Jamaican simply because I am white!  Our national motto by the way is " "Out of Many One People". If you look at pictures of my family it is distinctly for want of a better word 'colourful'....


 When you say Jamaica they say 'Bob Marley man!'. Even though the guys that wrote the article are fans of Jimmy Cliff just like me...an excuse to post a song break.........


Once at work one of the young people I supported asked if I smoked weed. It's illegal in Jamaica by the way just in case you are wondering! Yes the weather is lovely but no I did not go to the beach every day actually. Actually living in Kingston it was a good 40 minutes to get to the nearest beach. Mind you I did enjoy a lot of childhood holidays in the sunshine at the beach with my parents. The downside being that you are far away from the rest of the world so travelling abroad never happened a lot unless we were visiting family in the UK. Whereas when I met my Italian hubby he had already seen all of Europe.

Whatever your image of Jamaica is I won't argue though....Jamaicans are cool man!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...