A mum and a wife and sometimes just me


Wednesday 24 March 2010

Back to baking

I have been browsing through "Taste Magazine" which I found here one day in Auckland. Actually hubby bought it for me as a huge hint I think as I had been neglecting my cooking these days. Actually this is where the fish recipe below came from. So kids are back at school and work is a bit slow and I find myself with time on my hands these days so its back to baking....well something like that anyway. As the article by Sarah Bowman says
"This slice recipe came from my mother-in-law Gwennie and is one of those magical recipes that takes just minutes to make and everyone loves!"
Bren's Crispies

Recipe
250g butter
1 cup sugar
4tbsp cocoa
2 cups flour
1tsp baking powder
2 cups coconut
Thread coconut, for sprinkling on icing
Chocolate icing
3 cups icing sugar
4tbsp cocoa
1tbsp butter
A little boiling water

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180C. Melt the butter, sugar and cocoa in a saucepan, then remove from heat.

  2. Add flour, baking powder and coconut and mix until combined. Press the mixture into a baking paper-lined slice tin and bake for 20 minutes

  3. Ice while warm and sprinkle with thread coconut. Cool, then slice and store in an airtight container.

  4. For the icing, mix icing sugar, cocoa and butter with enough boiling water to make a thick smooth icing.
Mine all went pretty much to plan until slicing it out of the cake tin and bits started to fall apart from it. I quickly shoved mine in the fridge....saved!

Hubby's big smile as he was digging into not just one but two slices means it could not have tasted too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...