A mum and a wife and sometimes just me


Wednesday 2 October 2013

Naughty but Nice


My mum recently said to me that my son "may be bad (sometimes) but the sweetest thing around". I often find myself telling people that he is lucky he is cute. Then I get the days when I tell myself I know he could be a lot worse. 


He has a smile that would melt butter. How can I stay angry with him when he turns around and gives me a hug and says "I love my mummy". He's pretty smart too. When I tell him he can't do something he starts crying saying "Sorry mummy" while still wanting to do whatever it is. Apologies in advance I guess. There is a certain irony in the fact that the best way to diffuse a situation is to actually not get angry with him but be sympathetic to his cause and tell him I'm sorry but no and find a distraction. 

Tantrums are always easier to manage at home. You don't feel the glare of eyes on your back, it's easier to ignore and well you can actually take them to a time out which tends to be one of the options we use most. I try my best to just ignore it while out and about and just smile at inquisitive and even sometimes sympathetic passers by. My mother has also said to me that I'm patient. My dad said to me if I acted like that when I was a baby I might not be here today! I would just say he is lucky that he is not just naughty but also quite nice. 


8 comments:

  1. Toddlers can certainly try your patience at times, but there is always the flip side where they are so cute or so clever. It definitely makes it hard to stay mad for very long. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey he's 2 and a half, people forget pretty quickly how mischevious (i don't like "naughty") kids are at that age. If we were to believe the grandparents, apparently we never did half the stuff our kids do now, I don't believe it! I think back to Max last year, I was tearing my hair out!! It gets better, time out is an excellent tool which we use too. It works, we even use it when out and about. Both kids had to stand in a corner when we were in London recently!! In the meantime enjoy those smiles and cuddles!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely the age where I think they try their luck on a lot of things. They are so so cute though aren't they? Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is adorable... I love this age, mischievous, and v. funny too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I know this feeling very well, when Matilda has been difficult she'll come and give me a hug then whisper in my ear "miss you daddy, love you". She knows what she's doing already :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very true! Bob can be a nightmare at times but it is impossible to stay cross at her! Gorgeous photos! The last one is stunning! x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judging by that smile through that fence, which is BEAUTIFUL you HAVE INDEED got a gorgeous poser right there xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that first photo - he looks like such a cheeky monkey. Sounds to me like you handle the boundary setting very well, and actually that he is very aware that he is pushing them when he says sorry. He's such a beautiful boy. X

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...